HLF16: Liskov’s Reading List for Computer Scientists
Barbara Liskov pointed us in her talk at Heidelberg Laureate Forum to some interesting “must-reads” for computer scientists. The talks will be available here: http://www.heidelberg-laureate-forum.org/ . I strongly recommend to watch many talks – including hers.
Here is the list:
- Dijkstra, E. W. (1968). Letters to the editor: go to statement considered harmful.Communications of the ACM, 11(3), 147-148. (Link)
- Wirth, N. (1971). Program development by stepwise refinement. Communications of the ACM, 14(4), 221-227. (Link)
- Parnas, D. L. (1971). Information distribution aspects of design methodology. (Link)
- Dahl, O. J., & Hoare, C. A. R. (1972). Chapter III: Hierarchical program structures (pp. 175-220). Academic Press Ltd.. (Link)
- Morris Jr, J. H. (1973). Protection in programming languages. Communications of the ACM, 16(1), 15-21.
- Liskov, B., & Zilles, S. (1974, March). Programming with abstract data types. In ACM Sigplan Notices (Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 50-59). ACM. (Link)
- Liskov, B. H. (1972, December). A design methodology for reliable software systems. In Proceedings of the December 5-7, 1972, fall joint computer conference, part I (pp. 191-199). ACM. (Link)